Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 13:46:22 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problem

>  I've been playing around trying to install 2.0.5 or the 2.1.0 SNAP
>to a SCSI-disk on my Zappa P90, with either Adaptec 2940 or 1542B.
>The Zappa bios is revision 1.00.02. When I upgraded from some clone
>486/66 mainboard to this one, I just moved all the disks over to 2940
>and it booted happily (running 2.0.0-SNAP950322) and still does. The boot
>disk is
>(ahc0:0:0): "HP C3323-300 4084" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 1003MB (2056008 512 byte sectors)
>
>  However, installing from scratch to a spare 100M or ~200M disk, the
>system refuses to boot and instead reports "Missing operating system".
>  Booting from floppy and typing:
>hd(0,a)/kernel
>to the boot prompt brings the system nicely up from the harddisk and
>everything is fine. I've tried to rewrite the bootblocks with disklabel
>with same results.

The setup program got the geometry of your second disk wrong.  It should
be 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, #MB reported by the SCSI probe cylinders.
The most sure bet is to stick a partition on the disk using DOS fdisk
and then blow it away with sysintall.  Sysinstall will retrieve the
proper geometry from the partition table and all will be well.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM