Date:      Sat,  6 Apr 1996 10:52:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Recent problems running BSDI Netscape

Over the last few days, various FreeBSD systems I provide support for
have started generating Floating point exception errors when
that this specifically happens when loading Netscape's home page -2.0.1
seems to generate this error on Netscape's page itself, and Atlas
generates it on the "Personal Homepage" section they recently set up,
and as such I suspect their java code in some way.  But anyhow, this is
a recent occurence -- Netscape under emulation had been running happily
for quite some time.  On a search for floating point exceptions, I
pulled up the NetBSDvsFreeBSD page, and noticed that the author
discussed a problem with FreeBSD generating exceptions instead of NaN.
Is this still a problem, and could this be the cause of my problems? :)
Not all my problems, just the FreeBSD ones.

As an unrelated sidequestion, I don't control the bootp/dhcp server on
my subnet, and can't add entries as needed.  I'd like to use netboot and
a reduced kernel to load up FreeBSD occasionally on my old 386 (which
used to be my primary BSD system back in 2.0 :) -- does anyone have a
modified netboot that has a hardcoded set of IP's to use, instead of
bootp?  Would it be relatively easy (or hard) to modify  netboot to use
a config file with settings specific to that PC instead of relying on
bootp?

Robert Watson
rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu