Date:      16 Oct 2002 06:11:31 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        James Wu <jameswu@softhome.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sis(4) driver error with NetGearFA311

--=-lO9TBj3xHnjmGycEK00p

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:46, James Wu wrote:
> I'm a FreeBSD newbie who have attempted the installation of 4.5 a year=20
> ago when I received problems with my NetGear FA311 (National=20
> Semiconductor). I was told then that installing from floppies does not=20
> offer me the same set of drivers and thus I should use a CD instead. I=20
> got a CD writer this year and as par instructions burned the mini iso of=20
> 4.7, and still received the same issue.
> According to the hardware list, my NatSemi uses the sis driver, which is=20
> detected at boot time, during which I received:
> -snip-

Hi James,
   I've never tried installation with floppies, but I've been using a
Netgear FA311 on a machine here since 4.3 Rel, installed via 4 CD-ROM
Set - now running 4.7 Stable.

> sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> at device 13.0 on pci1
> sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
> device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6
> pci1: <unknown card> (vendor=3D0x11c1, dev=3D0x004e)    //not sure if it'=
s=20
> part of the error message so putting it on anyway
> -snip-
> And according to Diagnostics in the documentation "sis%d: couldn't map=20
> ports/memory [indicates] a fatal initialization error has occurred.", I=20
> think it's my error in configuring. Could anyone out there give me a hand=
?
>=20

Might actually be an IRQ conflict there, try (if you've got a spare)
shuffling the card along your available PCI slots to see if it gets
mapped properly somewhere else.

Make sure that you've got the bios settings for P 'n P OS toggled to
"NO" / "DISABLED" as well.

You didn't mention whether or not the nic is "onboard" or PCI, but did
it actually ever work under another OS? As far as the installation goes,
if this is the only nic you've got in the box, you'd just have to
disable the other drivers that appear in the list of conflicts, leaving
the sis driver only.

> Thank you, James
>=20

Sure thing, hope this helps in some way.

Regards,

Stacey

> -Additional information if needed: is running i686 (Intel celeron), PCI=20
> bridge is Intel82801AA, vendor Hewlett-Packard (HP-Pavilion), other=20
> existing OS: Windows ME *shudder*
>=20
>=20
--=20