Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 18:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP500 deskjet and 4.X

    Unless there are other causes -- like bizarre side-effects from
    interrupts -- or something even further out, I'm guessing that
    the reason my deskjet has stopped working recently (in FreeBSD-4.1)
    is a driver or configuration problem.

    There were a few postings on -stable not too many weeks back,  but
    I can't find them in the archives.

    Here is the related dmesg output:

    ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
    ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
    plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
    lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
    lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
    ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

    I have changed nothing in my KERNEL file from the GENERIC setup;
    can anybody tell me what needs doing to get my old DeskJet-500
    back to working?

    thanks much,

    gary

--