Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 22:37:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Acroread4 and Netscape 4.79 Fonts Fscked Up

    For both Acroread4-4.05 and Netscape 4.79, I've been seeing the
text labels in the UI replaced by empty rectangles, and I see the
messages

linux: 'ipc' typ=258 not implemented
Warning: charset of fontList (ISO10646-1) does not match locale (ISO8859-1).

every time I start Acroread4.

    I suspect either XFree86 4.2.0 or linux_base-7.1_2.  The system is
running 4.5-STABLE cvsup'd on Wed May  1 14:01:14 EDT 2002, but the
problem has persisted for some time.

    Has anyone else seen this problem?  Anyone have a fix?  Opera,
curiously, isn't affected, nor is RealPlayer.

    Oddly, when I ktrace it, I see a number of font resources using an
ISO-10646 variant of helvetica, instead of * or ISO-8859-1 as the charset,
even in the English tarball that I just downloaded from Adobe's
website.

behanna@topperwein> uname -a
FreeBSD topperwein.dyndns.org 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Wed May  1 16:38:43 EDT 2002     root@topperwein.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TOPPERWEIN  i386

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)