Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:57:27 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2 system stuck trying at boot, trying to mount root device

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:13:41 -0400, Forrest Aldrich <forrie@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also did a proper mount, fsck, and umount under the LiveFS shell,
> which made no difference.

I hope I'm just reading it in the wrong order. The correct
order is to 1st fsck, then mount, not vice versa. Never
fsck a mounted file system.

> The other messages I see on the console include GEOM output:
>
> GEOM_LABEL:  Label for provider ad4s1a is ufsid/blahblah
>
> then
>
> GEOM_LABEL: Label for ufsid/blahblah removed.

This is completely normal today. As long as a file system is
not mounted, the label is provided. When it gets mounted, this
label is being removed. You see this on your console.

> Anyone know how I can rescue this?

Does /var/log/messages show something strange looking?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0