Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:42:45 -0500
From:      Paul Murphy <pmurphy@earthling.net>
To:        Hugh Blandford <hugh@island.net.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows 98 + FreeBSD 2.2.8 LAN (Help)

Hugh Blandford wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> if the machines are all on the same network then you do not need any route
> commands.  The machines will use ARP to discover each other and you will

Before I added the 'route' command I got 'no route to host'. (they are
_supposed_ to be on the same network.) They are as follows:

Win98 machine 1 = 192.168.1.3 (Downstairs.conyers.net)
Win98 machine 2 = 192.168.1.2 (Upstairs.conyers.net)
FreeBSD machine = 192.168.1.4 (Nebula.conyers.net)
Hub (assigned in FreeBSD) = 192.168.1.10 (Hub.conyers.net)
netmask = 255.255.255.0

> then be able to ping them.  Unless you do something with Samba you will
> never be able to see the FreeBSD machine in the network neighbourhood.

I suspected as much. Will try it.

> Regards,
>
> Hugh Blandford
>
> At 23:15 5/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Need help setting up a LAN with 2 Windows machines and one FreeBSD

The purpose of this experiment is to have the FreeBSD machine act as a
mail server for the LAN and in the (distant) future act as a
gateway/firewall to the Internet.

The trouble seems to be that Windows has no 'routing table' for the LAN.
When I ping the FreeBSD machine from Windows it starts Dial-up, and when
I ping the Windows machines from FreeBSD I get no response.

p.s. On the Win98 machines TCP/IP is enabled as the default protocol,
DNS is disabled.