Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:58:14 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@icir.org>
To:        Jim Durham <jimd@nepinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maestro 3 flakiness

/-- Jim Durham wrote:
| It seems since I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop with Maestro 3 sound t
| FreeBSD 4.7 that I have an occasional problem with the sound system. I don't
| recall this happening under 4.6.
|
| Sometimes the hardware apparently fails to initialize properly. The symptom i
| that there appears to be no clock for the recording process, ie;  running
| 'audacity' or any recording program, no samples are taken and the time line
| stands still. Once in a while this happens on playback as well, but mostly on
|
| recording. Usually, a reboot will fix it. Sometimes it takes 2 reboots.
|
| Is something not initializing correctly?
|
| I'm using KDE3 with the artsd sound server. However, killing artsd and going
| directly to the dsp doesn't make any difference.
|
| Has anyone else seen this?

Jim

There is a difference in the initialization sequence between 4.6 and 4.7 that
might be worth investigating:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/maestro3.c.diff?r1=
1.2.2.11%3ARELENG_4_7&tr1=1.1&r2=1.2.2.7%3ARELENG_4_6&tr2=1.2.2.11

There are additional changes in -CURRENT relating to with suspend/resume which
are probably not directly relevant.

If you have the stomach for it, I'd recommend grabbing the specs and comparing
the ALSA and FBSD versions of the driver.  There may be differences in the
initialization code that give a clue to what the root of the problem is.

Failing this, try polling scottl@freebsd.org who is responsible for the
maestro3 driver.  YMMV, he's release engineering these days though and could
well be busy there since 4.8 code freeze is coming up shortly.

- Orion