Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:11:57 -0700
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI Host Adapter Recomendation Needed

Hi all!

I'm in the market for a SCSI host adapter.  I've done some research on Adaptec, Symbios, and Advansys adapters since they seem well supported by FreeBSD.

With so many to choose from it's kinda overwhelming and I'm not a SCSI expert so choosing one has become a difficult task.

Maybe my needs will be a determining factor.  I'd like to run SCSI Hardrives, CDROM's, and CD-RW's.  The machine's main purpose is a desktop workstation.

I'd like something affordable.  What's affordable?  Well around 150 dollars I guess, but I'm flexible.  I'd like something fast with neat features.  Also, I'd like something that will last and won't be deemed obsolete within a month.  Know what I mean?

I'm not sure if I should get an UW SCSI, U2W SCSI or U160 SCSI adaptor.  Any advice/recomendation will be greatly appreciated. Also, some advice/recomendations on SCSI CD-RW's and CDROM's will also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joey