Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:24:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPEED of Text OS

On Wednesday, 23 December 1998 at  9:50:07 -0800, Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I've tried both Linux (Redhat 5.1) and PicoBSD but there has always been
> something that really nags me about the text OS and typing in general (even
> sometimes in X)... Why does the typing rate seem sluggish in the text os?
> The repeat rate for the keyboard is slow and overall typing is a tad bit
> muckier than in say... DOS...

I'm not sure what you mean by "Text OS", but I'm guessing you mean the
syscons driver.

> 	If any of you have access to DOS try it out and then take a look at
> FreeBSD's or Linux's speed... I dont know wether it is me or my hardware...
> But it seems a bit slower.

It's at the speed at which you type, with the exception of the
repeat.  The repeat rate is determined by the keyboard.  The operating
system (or Microsoft) doesn't enter into it.

To change the repeat rate and repeat holdoff, use kbdcontrol.  By
default, the holdoff (time before the keyboard starts repeating) is
500 ms, and the repeat rate 8 per second (126 ms).  The fastest you
can set is a holdoff of 250 ms and a repeat rate of 30 per second (34
ms per character).  You can set this with

  # kbdcontrol -r 250.34

I personally use 250.42, about 24 repeats per second.

Set these values in /etc/rc.conf:

  keyrate="250.42"	# keyboard rate to: slow, normal, fast (or NO).

Don't worry about the comment.  I suppose we should change it.  More
details in kbdcontrol(8).

Greg