Date:      Sat, 03 May 1997 03:23:32 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

At 02:04 AM 5/3/97 -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>At 06:38 AM 5/3/97 +1000, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>>The thing *I'd* like to know is how to get Earthlink to stop allowing
>>relay.  I've e-mailed them the sendmail rules on how to do it, so they
>>can't claim ignorance.
>
>Sure they can.

What kills me when someone tells me drop my secuity.  "Yeah, and here are
the keys to my house."  I only say this because a friend on our system has
been on just about every provider that can provide local access to
Milwaukee.  He only bitches about my security.  The basic inverse checking
for telnet POP, ftp, and telnet blocked him many a time.

Don't know how some of large nations got that way.... would guess 2
factors.  You *can* throw money at a problem to "fix" it and customers are
easily gulled.

>There's an ISP near here that is so poorly run that they can't get anything
>right.
>
>For example, normal users could telnet into the mail server. Their solution?
>Disable telnetd on the mail server. They forgot to disable rlogin.

Wonder if you could say link time to chargen there?

>They also reportedly had the permissions wrong on /tmp. A friend of mine
>(who is one of their customers) emailed them the exact command
>"chmod 1777 /tmp". Their response? "We're working on it.".
>
>Some people *really* are *that dumb*.

Guess that is better than 5777 on a CGI dir or the more common 4777 on cgi
programs, which a malicious user could exploit.

Have to admit the can to some "creative" work:

; <<>> DiG 2.1 <<>> -x
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 1, Auth: 4, Addit: 4
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      7.72.55.206.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
7.72.55.206.in-addr.arpa.       86400   CNAME   7.0/24.72.55.206.in-addr.arpa.

Sorry, but I don't care to guess what they did for this to show up.

OTOH, I have dealt with a number of ISPs and private networks that at least
could follow how to setup/fix inverse mapping.

Can't stand "It isn't OUR system."

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990