Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:43:57 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>, Andrea Brancatelli <abrancatelli@schema31.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ancient FreeBSD update path

Kurt Jaeger wrote on 2018/01/19 15:24:
> Hi!
>
>> I have a couple of ancient FreeBSD install that I have to bring into
>> this century (read either 10.4 or 11.1) :-)
>>
>> I'm talking about a FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p4 and a couple of FreeBSD
>> 9.3-RELEASE-p53.
>>
>> What upgrade strategy would you suggest?
>
> The best way is to update stepwise using freebsd-update, so:
>
> 8.0 -> 8.3 -> 9.1 -> 9.3 -> 10.1 -> 10.3

I would recommend source upgrade instead of binary freebsd-update. It is
more predictable then freebsd-update if you are updating sooo old system

>> Direct jump into the future (8 -> 11)? Progressive steps (8 -> 9 -> 10
>> -> 11)? Boiling water on the HDs? :-)
>
> Stepwise. Huge jumps have too many rough edges.

I did upgrade from 8.4 to 10.2 or 10.3, not sure. There was some make
warning in make installworld phase so I did "make installworld" twice to
be sure everything is OK.

There is (maybe) simpler way - download (or create own) tar balls of
base and kernel of your target version (10.4 or 11.1), unpack it over
old system (in single user) then you can use make delete-old if you will
have /usr/src with updated source.

Miroslav Lachman