Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Colakovic <nickc@CORP.FirstIndustrial.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: kern/39447: 4.5R &4.6R Kernels fail to boot w/ AHA2940U2W att ached to an IFT-3102 controller (in less than 10 minutes)

The following reply was made to PR kern/39447; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nick Colakovic <nickc@CORP.FirstIndustrial.com>
To: "'Justin T. Gibbs'" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc: "'freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: RE: kern/39447: 4.5R &4.6R Kernels fail to boot w/ AHA2940U2W att
	 ached to an IFT-3102 controller (in less than 10 minutes)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:20:08 -0500

 I think I have been able to isolate the issue.   If the IFT-3102 is set with
 it "Peripheral Device Type" parameter set to "0x1f" the 4.6R kernel is
 delayed in booting by about 10 minutes in my environment.  This seems to be
 because the ahc driver seems to be scanning the pseudo devices the
 controller presents to its hosts to allow inband controller management and
 monitoring.  Without looking the ahc sources I assume the driver paces the
 scan of these devices in such a way to cause a fairly long boot delay.
 	If I set the "Peripheral Device Type" parameter to the default of
 "0x7f" (No Device Present according to the manual) the kernel boots
 normally.   The setting of 0x1f is required if the managing system attached
 to the controller is running Windows NT 4.0.  So is appears the problem can
 be classified as an environment specific bug or problem (depending on your
 point of view) when running a mix of OSes on the same IFT-3102 controller.
 Loss of GUI management of the controller is not a problem because I
 typically manage it from it serial interface anyhow.  Of course patience on
 my part might have isolated the problem earlier.   I will recompile sources
 on both affected systems and confirm that this 0x7f solution actually works.
 Thanks for the assistance and recommendations.

 	-NRC