Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 00:04:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hausen@punkt.de (Patrick M. Hausen), mi@aldan.algebra.com (Mikhail Teterin), jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com (John Baldwin), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No /boot/loader (dangerously dedicated)

Hi!

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I explicitly installed _all_ production machines "dangerously dedicated"
> > _to_get_around_ geometry problems. So I could swap SCSI controllers
> > of different brands with different translations.
>
> That was a silly idea.

Well, when I once moved a partitioned disk from one machine to
another with a different controller, the controller BIOS said
someting like "gemoetry is <something> - expecting <something else>".
This never happened with dedicated disks.

> I don't know where *anyone* has gotten this stupid idea from so listen up
> real good:
>
>  THIS CHANGE TO BOOT0 WILL NOT REQUIRE ANY SYSTEM TO EVER BE REINSTALLED.
>
> The change that's being made is to desupport the creation of incorrectly
> laid out 'dedicated' disks.  Your existing layouts will continue to work
> just fine.  You could never use MBR-based OS selector with any other
> dedicated disk, so you are not losing any more functionality.
>
>  PLEASE STOP SPREADING FUD AND UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOURS.  THANKYOU.

Point taken, I'm going to shut up on this one.

Patrick
--
--- WEB ISS GmbH - Scheffelstr. 17a - 76135 Karlsruhe - 0721/9109-0 ---
------ Patrick M. Hausen - Technical Director - hausen@punkt.de -------