Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:54:08 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp ( switching from user to kernel ppp )

Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to set up kernel ppp just to see how much of a difference
> there really is.  I've been using user PPP without problems for months.
>
> I've built a kernel with ppp support and taken out tunnel support.
>
> I've created scripts to dial out to my ISP and hang up when I'm done,
> and this all seems to work.
>
> I'm having a little problem in that after a few minutes of running I
> lose all routes to the outside and have to re-boot.  This is repeatable
> and happens every time I try to use kernel PPP to dial out to my ISP.
>
> I' wondering if I've missed something in setting this all up.
>
> What else do I need to do to properly configure the machine.  It's a
> stand-alone 3.0-Current/SMP machine.

SMP might have something to do with it.

This is my /etc/ppp/options file:

login
passive
crtscts
modem
noipdefault
:204.214.4.1
domain hiwaay.net
defaultroute
-chap
debug

I still manually use kermit to dial in, type my name and password, and invoke ppp on my ISP's Ascend box. I'll get around to automating it one day. But haven't had any problems with it. Currently running 2.2-BETA.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net