Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 01:08:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Amit Shah" <amitshah@techie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: threaded device drivers

> I wanted to know if threading of device drivers is supported in freebsd.... i
> f it is not, I would like to do it as a project with some of my colleagues...
>  can someone give me some info on this? Also, tell me if it would be benefici
> al (and in what way) to do this on freebsd.

"Threading device drivers" is a bit of an ambiguous description.

There is a lot of abuse of threaded design in device drivers for
operating sytems like Windows; if you're talking about this sort of
thing, then no, it would not be beneficial at all.

The FreeBSD device driver model is very "thin"; drivers don't typically
do very much work, and so code paths tend to run to completion.  For
blocking conditions, one typically uses a callback rather than putting a
thread to sleep.

In -current, drivers that want threads can spawn them off; where it's
absolutely necessary it's usually a driver-specific issue rather than
being something that could be implemented in any more generic a fashion.

Regards,
Mike