Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:03:55 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Bryan Sears <bsears@sitesnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI

[ David Greenman forwarded the following posting (Thanks!) from the -questions
  mailing list, which I'm not subscribed to. Please keep a CC: to my address,
  or I won't be able to see your answer ... ]

> When upgrading our server from 2.2.7 to 3.2 the Intel EtherExpress NIC
> card would be recognized but gave a "couldn't map memory" error.  This
> card is integrated directly into our Intel 440LX motherboard.  This device
> was working w/o a problem in 2.2.7.

This is very strange! The only reason I can see, why that might happen,
is that the PCI BIOS assigns strange mappings (or none) to the Ethernet
chip.

Can you send VERBOSE boot message logs (enter "-v" at the boot prompt)
as printed by 3.2 and 2.2.7 ?

(If you can't boot 2.2.7 anymore and you don't happen to have a verbose log
in some old messages file, I need a verbose log of 3.2 ...)

> In the end we decided to put a standalone PCI 3COM card to combat the
> problem.  This worked out to be okay and the server was able to be
> upgraded.  I am very perplexed as to the reason for and meaning of this
> error.  I'm still getting these errors as attached below.  Any insight
> would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Well, but the probe message indicates that the 3com driver is not really
happy, neither:

> xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x30 int a irq 11 on pci0.10.0
> xl0: couldn't map port
> xl0: WARNING: this shouldn't happen! Possible PCI support code bug!xl0:
> attempting to map iobase manuallyxl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:5a:1d:53:52

Seems that the port address had not been configured by the PCI BIOS ...

> xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 100Mbps)
> fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x02 int a irq 10 on
> pci0.16.0
> fxp0: couldn't map memory

===> Hmmm, does your BIOS by chance offer an option "PnP OS" ?

That's for operating systems that want to mess around with PCI mappings
and don't trust the PCI BIOS to get it right (i.e. Win/98).

We do trust the PCI BIOS, and therefor expect that option to be OFF.
I'd bet you have it ON (though I do not understand why 2.2.7 didn't complain,
if this is in fact the case ...)

Regards, STefan