Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:55:55 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Turning on debugging in GENERIC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:02:57 EST, Will Andrews wrote:

> Um, Terry, are you even on bugs@ ?  The fact of life is, many folks who
> "try" -current that report bugs do not give enough details, so they in
> return get vague suggestions like these.

I'd like to clarify what Will said before we get led down astray by the
people who're just mailing for the sake of mailing.

The problem I often had with freebsd-bugs when I was very active there
was that folks would catch a panic, send a backtrace with absolutely no
debugging symbols and then move on.  Often, these people were not
prepared to try to reproduce the panic.

If we had CURRENT's kernel default to including full debugging support,
I think we'd get better results out of many of our bug reports.

Ciao,
Sheldon.