Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:15:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, green@unixhelp.org, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, peter@netplex.com.au, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

Julian Elischer wrote:
> they fetch updates overr the net.
> but they don't have code to replace the bootblocks
> to do that would mean 2 upgrades, one to get the new software that CAN do
> so, and one to replace them.

So why can't you do that?!
Do you have dependencies between your upgrade versions (or whatever you
call them)?

It seems to me that there is little pain to be experienced due to
upgrading the boot blocks provided you can be sure that the new
blocks will work. And this is something that Whistle /can/ test in the
lab because you don't have to deal with unknown hardware.

Keeping hacked things around and having to support them in a.out format
long term when FreeBSD has moved on is unwise IMHO. As one burger chain
says: "resistance is useless" 8-).

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137