Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:19:02 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A printer question...

On one computer over here there's a Lexmark 3200 printer attached. This
printer only works properly when its driver can run under Windows, there's no
way to get it to print under a DOS-only or FreeBSD system. There is, however,
something one can do: When Windows is running, a DOS-Program in a DOS-Box *can*
print if it is using a PCL-printer (one of the many HP-deskjet drivers). If
such a driver is used in a DOS-Box, the Windows printer driver will handle the
PCL-to-Printer-specific-format-translation. The only problem is that Windows
does always have to be running. In pure-DOS mode, one can print to a file and
then, once Windows is running again, copy that file to the printer port (I
think using copy file.ext lpt1). Again, the Windows driver will do the rest.
Having that in mind, I wonder if (andf how) I can achieve that FreeBSD prints
to a file, using a PCL/Deskjet printer. If that *would* work, all I had to do
was starting Windows later and copy that file to the printer. Any ideas are
welcome.

Greetings,
Nils