Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 14:19:08 +0900
From:      Nobuhiro Yasutomi <nobu@rd.isac.co.jp>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        gnats-admin@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha/17032: strtod(3) floating exception

Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au> writes:
> Unlike the i386, the Alpha doesn't support denormalised numbers (eg
> doubles less than ~2.225e-308) in hardware.  By default they truncate
> to zero.  Correct IEEE behaviour relies on a combination of compiler
> (the -mieee flag) and kernel support.
>
> As for 10e-323, that number cannot be represented as a double (for
> denormalised numbers, only integer multiples of ~4.940656e-324 can be
> represented).  The closest representable value is 9.88131e-323 - which
> is what the i386 reported.

  Thank you Peter for describe background.

  I understand to handle IEEE fully support are far way. Well,
hard to fix complite this problem for me. :-(

  I think ad hoc escape coding in my program now. And hope fix
sometime.

%% Oh, Linux/Alpha already support this...
---
Nobuhiro Yasutomi  ISAC, Inc.
http://www.isac.co.jp/