Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:15:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert <robert@namodn.com>
To:        blink@lightspeed.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 blink@lightspeed.net wrote:

> As my subject line indicates, I've had Kernel Panic, but now with FreeBSD.  I

Hmm.. I guess you meant "not" instead of "now", huh ? :)

> get it everytime I try to install Redhat 5.2, therefore I want to try FreeBSD
> and see what happens, but I do not want to buy the CD or spend my weekend doing
> a ftp install.

Hmm.. you could just download the base system I suppose, but that's no
fun. You can't have your cake and eat it too you know :)

I got my FreeBSD 4-disc set for 5 dollars at a computer show.. if you live
in an area without FreeBSD attendance and/or computer shows, there are
places to order a suped-down version.. although it is worth it to get the
4-disc set, IMHO.

> I have an AMD-K62 300, Epox motherboard, 64 megs of PC100 RAM, S3-Virge GX 4
> meg AGP video card, SB AWE64 sound card, a 6.8 gig and an 8.4 gig Maxtor UDMA
> hard drives, an Aceex 56k modem, and an Award Plug and Play Bios.

Seems ok, SCSI is better supported than IDE, I'm not sure which you have..
Just to make sure it works with your system, you can download the boot
image from www.freebsd.org, and just install the base system.. if redhat
did not work, that could very well point to a hardware problem,
unfortunately.. <shrug> or, ( hopefully ) maybe just a misconfiguration.

Whatever you choose, good luck! :)

-rob
( www.namodn.com )
( robert@namodn.com )