Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 16:20:01 -0700
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   kern/302: Changing st tapes after extract crashes system

>Number:         302
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Changing st tapes after extract crashes system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development i386
>Environment:

	Archive QIC-11/24 drive with controller.
	I have /dev/qic24 set to major/minor 10/16.

	After doing:

		dd if=/dev/qic24 bs=1024k | tar xvf -
		(remove tape, insert new tape)

	Just after inserting the new tape, a bunch of "swap pager failed"
	messages fly by on the console and the system resets (no panic
	or crash dump).  The IDE boot drive is left unresponsive, requiring
	use of reset button.

	This bug has been present since 2.0.  It was not present in 1.1.5.1.
	I can test fixes for awhile, but I am in the process of retiring
	my Archive drive in favor of a Colorado Jumbo 250.  These crashes
	are making it tedious to transfer my data to new media.