Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:09:51 -0800
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clang - what is the story?

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

Quoth Robert Bonomi on Sunday, 22 January 2012:
> Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>=20
> > I personally had no idea this was going on; my impression was gcc grew=
=20
> > out of the original compiler that built unix, and the only choices were=
=20
> > borland and gcc. The former for win32 crap and the latter for, well,=20
> > everything else.
>=20
> "Once upon a time", there were _many_ alternatives for C compilers.
> Commercial -- i.e. 'you pay for it', or bundled with a pay O/S  -- offeri=
ngs
> included (this is a _partial_ list, ones _I_ have personal knowledge of):
>=20
>   PCC  -- (the original one0 medium-lousy code but the code-generator was=
=20
>            easily adapted to new/diferent hardwre
>   Green Hills Softwaware  (used by a number of unix hardare manufacturers)
>   Sun Microsystems developed their own ("acc")
>   Silicon Graphics, Inc
>   Hewlett-Packard
>   Symantic   (Think C -- notable for high-performance on early Apple Mac'=
s,
> 	      significantly better than Apple's own MPW)
>   Manx Software   ("Aztec C" -- a 'best of breed' for MS-DOS)
>   Microsoft
>   Intel
>   CCS
>   Watcom
>   Borland
>   Zortech
>   Greenleaf Software
>   Ellis Computing (specializing in 'budget' compilers, circa $30 pricetag=
s)
>   "Small C"
>   tcc -- the 'tiny C compiler
>=20
>=20
> I'm sure others can name ones I've overlooked.

I used a horrible C compiler on CP/M -- I guess I've blocked its name out
of my memory.  Anything you found in K&R that sounded cool you had to go
write a test program to see if this compiler actually supported it.
Sometimes it did, but differently.

--=20
=2EO. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
=2E.O | sterling@camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com