Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:01:26 +0100
From:      "Ramiro Aceves" <ea1abz@wanadoo.es>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about ports

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc: "Ramiro Aceves" <ea1abz@wanadoo.es>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:59 PM

> On Monday 21 February 2005 06:15 am, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> > Hello FreeBSD friends
> >
> > I have a question about ports. I have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a AMD
> > 400 MHz machine with 64 MB RAM, so it is not a fast machine for
> > compiling big programs! :-). The problem I am going to tell you,
> > happened to me several weeks ago into another slower machine (Pentium
> > 75 in which there is no OS now), and I can not remember some details,
> > so  I am sorry if I am not too acurate. I suppose I will run into
> > this problem again with the AMD machine so I would like to understand
> > it better.
> >

> > 1- I  installed mozilla 1.7.2-2,2 from the packages on the CDROM.
> > 2- I cvsuped the ports collection.
> > 3- I installed and compiled some programs from the updated ports
> > collection. 4- Mozilla did not work anymore cause in needs atk-1.6.1.
> >
> > Mozilla in the package is 1.7.2_2,2 and depends on atk-1.6.1
> > If I install programs from the updated ports tree, atk-1.8.0 was
> > installed for another port and atk-1.6.1 removed, but mozilla on the
> > CDROM package wants atk-1.6.1. So, If I try to install again from the
> > cdrom, it cant cause atk-1.8.0 is installed.
> >
> > Compilling mozilla in this slow machine is not reasonable, so:
> >
> > Can I download a more updated mozilla package acording to my updated
> > ports collection? I have browsed pkg_add man pages and believe that
> > the environment variables PACKAGESITE and PACKAGEROOT need to be set
> > so that pkg_add can fetch more updated packages. Am I right? Where
> > should they point to?
> >
> > I will use pkg_add only for big programs, and I can use the ports
> > collectio to compile the little ones.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Ramiro.
> >

> Ramiro,
>
> If you're not going to compile from the ports tree, or use portupgrade
> or portmanager, then you will have to use pkg_add. Yoy don't have to
> set PACKAGESITE and/or PACKAGEROOT. You will probably have to do
> "pkg_delete mozilla-1.7.2_2,2 to remove mozilla from your installed
> packages. Then you can do "package_add -r mozilla", and it should
> download and install mozilla and required packages that haven't already
> been installed.

I think I did that on the old pentium 75 MHz machine and mozilla refused to
install if I did not remove the new atk package. As I needed the new atk for
updated ports, old mozilla package on the cdrom could not be installed.

> Is there some reason you would rather use mozilla than, say, www/firefox
> and mail/thunderbird?

No reason. I installed mozilla cause it was the only modern graphical
browser that I found on the CDROM, but I prefer firefox and thunderbird as
separate packages. I also love the "links" family mainly for text browsing.
I know that "links" also have graphics suppport, but it is not as intuitive
as mozilla for my mother ;-).

Thank you very much for your help.
Ramiro.