Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 10:59:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Jaffe <mjaffe@rsv.ricoh.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mjaffe@congo.crc.ricoh.com
Subject:   Re: Building Kernel in different area?

On Tue, 12 May 1998 at 12:44:15 -0700, Mark Jaffe wrote:
> Suppose I want to create a new source tree for kernel mods and wish to NOT
> build under my existing tree. What do I need to set in the way of flags to allow
> this to happen?

Nothing, really.  Just create the new tree, and perform all the steps
in that tree.  For example, on my system I have /usr/src as a symlink
to /src/freebie/src; this is the standard source.  I also have two
development trees /src/razzia/src and /src/daemon/src which I use for
building test kernels for 3.0 and 2.2.6 respectively.  To build a 3.0
kernel, I do:

 # cd /src/razzia/src/sys/i386/conf
 # config -g RAZZIA
 # cd ../../compile/RAZZIA
 # make depend
 # make

You'll notice that, modulo the kernel name, the last four lines are
identical with what you'd do to build a kernel in the /usr/src/sys
hierarchy.

Greg