Date:      Sun, 25 May 2008 14:46:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      KAYVEN  RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Hackers" Documentation

A couple of people on this list came to an agreement that "hackers"
is appropriately understood as being for "developers."

Well.  I made my decision to subscribe based on the "documentation"
here:

http://tinyurl.com/623qw

Namely:

freebsd-hackers 	General technical discussion

Googling "hackers" gives me 42.4 million hits.

Wikipedia gives:

     * Hacker (computing) has a spectrum of meanings:
           o Hacker (computer security), someone who breaks computer and
             network security
           o Hacker (free and open source software), a programmer in the
             free software and open source movement
           o Hacker (hobbyist), an enthusiastic home computer hobbyist.

Hmm.. I think I at very least belong to that third category.  Personally,
I take issue with the first defintion, but the facts are that most
"laypersons" understand hackers in that way.  I would say it is a
"cracker" who breaks into a computer and not a "hacker".  Somebody
instilled this idea in me, I forget who.

Anyway.  I won't belabor this point further here.  Thank you for
your time.

   Kayven Riese, BSCS, MS (Physiology and Biophysics)
   (415) 902 5513 cellular
   http://kayve.net
   Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org