Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:48:11 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1017006491.726085@mired.org>
To:        parv_@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing xemacs21 w/ minimum packages

In <443cywsggu.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>, Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com> typed:
> parv <parv_@yahoo.com> writes:
> > i want to install xemacs w/o all other junk listed in
> > xemacs-packages/Makefile as all i want is an editor.  what can i do
> > away w/?
> As a very heavy emacs user, though, I have to ask:  if all you want is
> basic editing functions, are you sure that you want emacs?

Actually, the one that comes to my mind is, if that's what you want,
why xemacs? Why not stock emacs? Or any of a number of small
emacs-like editors? I prefer mg, but I'm the author of that particular
version of microemacs.

BTW, it looks like what's really going on is that it's testing for
enriched-text to see if xemacs-packages has been loaded or not, as the
only things that list it in their plist appear to be emacs fof various
versions. If someone tries building it without those, I'd be
interested in the results.

	<mike