Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:02:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Brown <GTABUG>" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
To:        Frank Walder <jlsmbg@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD download

Yes, see http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html . Read the handbook
link and the newbie link at freebsd.org too, as well as their recommended
links to web resources, newsgroups, mailing lists, et al. If you're going
to give FreeBSD a go I hope you like to read! ;)

Cable, DSL, or dialup? If you are using dialup you need a real hardware
modem, not a PCI or a dreaded "winmodem". (USR external V92 faxmodem is
about the best if you plan to buy). If you have cable and a network
card that it recognises, it will be a piece of cake. (I used
dialup/modem, slooowwww... but it did work).

Suggest doing this: Read the install and browse the handbook. Make the 2
floppies and boot, choose hardware at the opening screen and continue,
study the resulting boot messages. Note whether it sees your network card
OK (or modem or serial port... but I assume you've got cable or DSL if
your downloading whole ISO's). If it does, go straight to the custom
install/set up network and try to connect to the 'net. You can safely do
all this without doing anything invasive to your hard drive, which is
good, because it will take some patience and a few tries to make that
network connection happen. This is your trial run. Once you know you can
do this, you can prep your harddrive for, and do a real install.

It's also possible that you have to install the system first, then
re-compile the kernel to recognise your hardware, etc. Example: Last time
I checked, the generic (installation system) kernel could not handle PPPoE
even though the book says it will (try anyway, they may have fixed it.
PPPoE is the protocol used by most ISP's who offer ADSL.) I had to get the
base system, kernel source&tools using dialup; then configure PPPoE before
installing the works (by recompiling the kernel... see the handbook on
how. Email me direct for specific options if you get this far, I just did
it using info gleaned from all over the place, so I can save you some time
here).

If you don't have a network card or modem that FreeBSD recognises, get
one. Even if you do buy the CD (cheap at www.chguy.net), you will still
need some way onto the 'net, right?

I recommend installing only the base system, docs, kernel source&tools
(you *will* want to recompile the kernel from source), linux
compatability, X, linux-netscape (not the FreeBSD version of Netscape).
Get everything working, then go get everything else you want.

You're probably thinking "Windows is easier!". But FreeBSD is worth the
trouble, especially if you're tired of bluescreens.

Good luck!
 Steve