Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:08:36 +0000
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, opentrax@email.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 03:12:09PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:10:51AM +0000, Steve Roome wrote:
> > P.S. Yup, I know I didn't supply patches to gnats to make it do this,
> > I don't seriously expect anyone would accept them if I did.
>
> I'd very seriously consider any patch that, if I set "responsible" to
> something like "xfree86", automatically forwards the PR on, possibly
> with some preamble that says something like
>
>     This report has been forwarded by the FreeBSD Project, as it pertains
>     to a piece of software that we distribute, but do not maintain.
>
>     It is our policy to forward patch requests on to the original
>     developers, and re-integrate their changes in to our tree when they
>     are made, rather than make local patches to third party software.

I'm not sure about the specifics, but there's two ways to do this,
from client machines and from server gnats. The first is easier and
here's my solution :

Depends how one wants to do it and what is the "right way". Gnats
already has this built in to some extent, although it's not
particularly user friendly!

Method 1 :

create /etc/gnats/X as follows :
xfree86-3.3.1
xfree86-3.3.2
xfree86-3.3.3
xfree86-3.3.4
xfree86-3.3.5
xfree86-3.3.6
xfree86-4.0.0
xfree86-4.0.1

setup a mail alias for X-gnats e.g.
	echo "X-gnats: xfree86@xfree86.org"

(newaliases etc.)

send-pr X will now work, reasonably well, but seeing as they don't
have any evidence of gnats installed at xf86.org this isn't perfect.

Method 1+ :

For better functionality I would suggest that each package/port that
is installed could use exactly the same mechanism and add an entry in
/etc/gnats. It would also be very easy to add one other if statement
to the start of the send-pr script to use a different PR-FORM
(i.e. just to set the env variable!) if it's not the base FreeBSD
system we've found a problem with.

If anyone is interested in the second part above, I'm willing to spend
some more time on it and actually send in some usable patches, the whole
shebang is surprisingly simple.

However, in the meantime, the quickfix for just X works fine (well,
the text needs altering, but the folks at xfree86.org are unlikely to
mind that we'll send in a report with Category and Release the wrong
way round, when they don't use the same system the information would,
I assume still prove useful for them!

Final thought : We could do this properly and for every port just give
gnats the mail address for problem reports in the same way. Suddenly
problem reporting capability for all of the ports is working.

	Steve