Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 1996 20:39:34 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sound bits.. ( was Re: New meteor driver )

>>> Jim Lowe said:
 > One of these days when I get some time I will probably fix this mess
 > so people won't have to worry about which sound drivers and from where,
 > but right now I am rather swamped.

 "vat-hasty-fix" is a vat  audio driver suitable for full duplex soundcards
  such as the GUS PnP and the GUS Max.

  The distributed vat audio driver for the Voxware sound driver is
  a half-duplex audio driver.

  One could merge my audio driver with the distributed vat audio driver
  so that we wouldn't need to burden people to know which audio module
  to use. If anyone is interested in helping out  please drop me a note.
  Because I don't know C++, I need someone who knows C++ well to merge
  the two C++  audio driver modules. As for the glue logic to decide
  to use the half-duplex or the full duplex audio module , I can
  take care of that.

  The alpha sound driver in my ftp directory remains in an alpha stage
  till someone from the SB camp can step in and finish debugging the
  SB section. Since we are having problems recruiting someone to
  work on the SB section, we can sort of vote on to check in the
  sound driver in -current with the hope that a SB hacker will
  be motivated enough to work on it.

  As for the use of vmix as a socket interface , we should strongly
  consider merging in the code into vat so as to not burden users
  with the operational aspects of running vmix. In other words,
  we should try to keep it as simple as possible. The socket interface
  from vat to vmix was a good idea when we *didn't* have the sources
  for vat.

	Amancio