Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:53:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACER CD910E/JAS IDE CDrom...

> The problem is the '#' in front of all the lines in the section
> "I had", you have effectively disabled any ata/atapi support :)
> Or is this not an _exact_ copy of your config...
>
> The CMD640 might very well be the help you needed...

In fact, it shouldn't, since only one IDE controller is defined.
In that case the code shouldn't be changed by the CMD640 option.

Wolfgang

> > 	Actually, not really the answer, but I did get it to work.  I
> > ended up downloading the boot.flp from the latest snapshot, then when that
> > worked, building a GENERIC kernel...and when that worked, copied in
> > anything that appeared pertinent...and now it works.
> >
> > 	I had:
> >
> > #controller     wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x00ffa004

You need to define an IDE controller to use an ATAPI CDROM.

> > vector wdintr
> > #disk           wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
> > #disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1
> > #options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> > #options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM

And you need to define ATAPI options.

> > #device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM
> >
> > 	And now have:
> >
> > options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
> > controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
> > disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
> > disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

In theory, you do not need those disk statements if you don't have
an IDE disk. But they might help to successfully probe the CD.

Wolfgang