Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:26:15 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

According to Dan Janowski:
> At one point I had inquired about lfs (log file system), in
> part because of my experience with xfs (SGI's). Although lfs
> is not xfs, they are both better performers than ufs/ffs (which

Xfs is pretty fragile from what I've heard.

> are both REALLY old, I think ufs dates from the 50's and ffs
> from the 70's).

They appeared in 1983 in a paper that you'll find in
/usr/src/share/doc/papers/smm/05.fastfs.

> Margo Seltzer, who was a principle for lfs. The apparent
> primary reason why lfs does not run here is that lfs does some
> wierd stuff with the ATT buffer code that is missing in
> 4.4-lite. I was not able to get a synopsis of what or how to
> get around it, but it didn't sound like lfs was broken, it's
> just missing some wheels.

Not exactly. It is broken in FreeBSD since the VM/Buffer cache merge and it
lacks some features like fsck. John Dyson said he was working on it and
hoped to have it fixed for 2.2. Now maybe 3.0.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #28: Sun Nov 10 13:37:41 MET 1996