Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:58:01 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new IPFW

On 1999-Nov-24 17:33:04 +1100, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
>   All actions except for deny should have a "continue" option, where
>the packet matching would both match that rule and follow its action,
>but also pass on to the next rule.

I don't quite follow what Brian means here.  I'd like to suggest an
additional 'goto rule N' command which, together with a pattern
negation operator gives a fairly powerful language.  Check out the
filtering options in ppp(8) (the examples in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample
make them a bit clearer).

>This would
>allow actual logic in rules, albeit with slightly more complexity in
>the IPFW implementation in the kernel.  This would be a huge gain for
>the administrator of the firewall, in that {,s}he could use a more
>natural programming syntax, rather than the current, simplistic,
>absolutely non-programmable (but klugeable) IPFW.

IMHO, the complexity would be better in a userland `rule compiler'
which produced (maybe more) simple rules for the kernel to execute.
I suspect that trying to support complex rules in the kernel is
unlikely to be a 'win' - think CISC vs RISC.

A totally different approach is that used by bpf and libpcap.  This
could also form the basis of a reasonable IPFW implementation (but
the API would probably need to change).

Peter