Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:16:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@dc.ispro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind and the limit of serial number ???

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is the bind have 32 bit unsigned integer variable for the serial
> number part of the dns records?
> if yes, it means that we cant have a number bigger than
> 4294967296 right?

Somewhere I read something like: "The format YYYYMMDDnn" is often used for
the serial number. We know this wil break in the year 4294, but we are not
worried about that."

> what happens if we have a bigger number?
> then bind takes it like modulus 2^32?

I once put in an extra digit in the serial number.
This made a secondary use a serial number, which was larger than mine, and
could probably be the modulus 2^32.
I had to call the hostmaster there (A "3.rd secondary" hosted at our
uplink) to get the zonefile removed, so the right one would be reloaded.

> or it is forbidden to
> have a bigger number?

Not only forbidden, impossible...

Leif