Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 00:45:43 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Music to code by

At 09:47 PM 5/21/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>Sorry, but I just don't get this whole thread; how can anyone code
>at their best while listening to music?

What I *really* can't understand is that some people I know --
including the CEO of a relatively well known software company --
claim that they code best when under the influence of marijuana.
Considering the documented effects of marijuana on short term
memory, and on the transfer of information from short term to
long term memory, I am truly amazed that they can even code
adequately under such conditions. (The ONLY activity I could
imagine that might benefit from the effects of marijuana is
musical performance, where one can't dwell on mistakes or even
on what happened a few seconds before. One must reproduce
material that has already been committed to long term memory
while at the same time living entirely in the moment, reacting
instantly to one's fellow musicians.)

Different strokes, I suppose....

--Brett Glass