Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        Joshua Boyd <boydjd@jbip.net>, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS obn FreeBSD hardware model for 48 or 96 sata3 paths...

=0A--- On Fri, 9/16/11, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:=0A=0Awh=
at is it you are trying to achieve?=A0 large storage, or high =0Atransactio=
n rates? (or both?)=0A=0AI'm biased but I'd put a 160GB zil on a fusion-io =
card=A0=A0=A0and dedicate =0A8G of the ram to it's useage.=0A=0Ait's remark=
able what a 20uSec turnaround time on your metadata can do..=0A=0A---=0A=0A=
I am optimizing for storage space - as much as possible for the budget.=0A=
=0ASo we are going with SATA3 drives (the 3TB ones) and raidz3 (even though=
 it is a write-intensive application).=0A=0ABUT, in the context of those mi=
serly constraints, I'm trying to figure out what mistakes to avoid and what=
 optimizations are worth making...=0A=0AThe fusion-io would be great, but a=
nother $5k (or more) is not in the budget.  I'm glad we can always add a ZI=
L after the fact, and maybe we will do so with a cheaper (OCZ ?) pcie based=
 SSD...=0A=0A