Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:29:49 -0700
From:      James Wu <jameswu@softhome.net>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sis(4) driver error with NetGearFA311

Stacey Roberts wrote:

-snip-

> You're saying that the sis driver *does not* appears in the collapsed
> list of network drivers during full graphical installation? What I'd try
> to verify next is the IO port resource addres of the nic. It should be
> in the documentation that came with the card.

Wow, I need to fix up on my understanding of network cards. Affirmative,
the card *does not* appear in the list. It works under Windoze with
automatically detected settings (IRQ 9 and I/O 3800-38FF).

> The dos floppy that came with the card should have a configuration
> utility that allows you to adjust the IRQ / port resource address for
> the card. Try that and see if this allows the card to get picked up
> properly.

The card was second-hand from a friend and didn't come with the original
package; the Windoze driver was obtained from the web. I googled
configuration of PCI cards resulting in advertisements and spam... so
can you give me a little more tip(s) here :-)? A link to the concept
and/or information ? NIC PCI cards : NIC cards && I/O || IRQ in general
would be greatly appreciated, or any other information that might help
in this matter. I know I'm supposed to "do my homework" in the *BSD
commmunity, but I had far too much from school already :-) (I'm 14 btw,
nice to meet you, great webpage).

Thank you for help so far, or it might be another year of overbloated
RedHat for me...

---You may safely ignore below, no new comments were written---
-snip-

> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 06:29, James Wu wrote:

>>Stacey Roberts wrote:

-snip-

>>>Hi James,
>>>   I've never tried installation with floppies, but I've been using a
>>>Netgear FA311 on a machine here since 4.3 Rel, installed via 4 CD-ROM
>>>Set - now running 4.7 Stable.

-snip-