Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 08:45:32 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        Yingjun He <hey@tuns.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

Yingjun He wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just got a Laser printer with network card on it. Can you tell me how to
> connect it ? Can I send printing files to the printer from two different
> sources (PC and UNIX systemx)? This printer is a postscipt printer. I have
> to send postscript files only?
>
> Thank you!

Most lasers, like the IBM 4317 I have, will autodetect postscript. They
will also print PCL, the old HP Laserjet protocol. To set it up, you
telnet into the printer itself (I believe they run QNX in this one) to
set the options and defaults. Telnet to the IP address set from the
front panel, and *surprise*! you get a shell prompt.

There are several printer filters and converters which will give you PS
from text or whatever in the Ports collection under printing and
graphics. apsfilter and gs (Ghostscript) are the most pertinent ones
here. You set up a remote-printcap entry on your FreeBSD machines and an
entry in your hosts file (not sure Printcap parser is smart enough to
let you use a raw IP address, anybody tried it?). See Nemeth's UNIX
System Admin book for examples.

On the PC side, it depends what kind of network you are running. Some
lasers will let IPX and IP clients both talk, so Novell clients can talk
directly through Novell's print server without killing IP access for
TCP-IP machines. There are shareware utilities which will add a TCP-IP
stack to a DOS or Win PC, and some also include the print spooler
utilities as well.

  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *
 V_=_=_DW ===--- Don Wilde [don@PartsNow.com] [http://www.PartsNow.com ]
/oo0000oo-oo--oo-ooo---ooo-ooo---ooo-ooo--ooo-ooo---ooo-ooo---ooo-oo--oo