Date:      27 Sep 2000 16:34:07 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk compression?

jim@nasby.net (Jim C. Nasby) writes:

> If you're looking to maximize your compression, you might want to check
> out bzip, as I've heard that it gets much better compression ratios than
> gzip -9 does, at least on text files.

Well, yes, but bear in mind that "much better" in this case means that
a difference of, at most, a percent or two of the original size. In
some cases, of course, the bzip'd files will be bigger.

Given that the original poster specifically mentioned downloading, I
suspect that much more useful would be the automatic compression built
into scp, but I'm just guessing here.

Be well.