Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:45:56 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD NFS (was Re: Is it soup yet? FreeBSD NFS)

> A recent Linux article suggests that Linux NFS will bipass the "mbuf"
> layer, ie. the NFS code will directly reassemble packets into RPC requests
> thereby saving _one_ copy of memory.  This is really neat, but then makes
> NFS dependant on the protocols which it is supposed to be independant of.

The BSD kernel NFS code already does this; it contains some quite
frightening macros which directly manipulate mbuf state.

> Btw, Mike Smith's new ACCESS caching seems quite stable and i was
> wondering if it had been commited.

No, I haven't had time to commit it yet.  I've been given a cleaner
version by a contributor, and I'm still investigating cases where it's
possible that the cached mode should be invalidated.

I'd love to hear from anyone that can conclusively confirm that nfsnode
structures are *always* obtained via nfs_nget when attached to a new
vnode, or when the vnode is retargetted.  The cache hit rates that have
been reported have me wondering if they're not actually being maintained
(in the name cache maybe?) across multiple references to the same file.

After my exam tomorrow morning, I hope to be able to clear a few
low-overhead tasks such as this from my stack.  So far all the feedback
I've received has been very positive; the though of reducing wire
traffic for an NFS-mounted world build by several hundred MB is quite
appealing.  8)