Date:      09 Mar 2002 21:57:40 -0800
From:      "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   conf/35725: /etc/rc should create missing "dumpdir".

>Number:         35725
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       /etc/rc should create missing "dumpdir".
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

It is easy for one to follow the FAQ and man pages to configure for
crash dumps and fail to get the dump captured because the user didn't
know that the "dumpdir" needed to be pre-made, not just named in the
rc.config file.  I admit that it could be considered to be an implicit
requirement, but many will not think of it without a warning.

A good (?) and simple enhancement would be to have the code in /etc/rc
which checks for a missing "dumpdir" create it after it determines that
it is missing.  Or maybe the savecore(8) program should create the
directory that it is told to use (and the check removed from /etc/rc).
(I don't know if there's a conventional way for programs to handle
this situation.)

In any case, the savecore(8) man page and FAQ should describe the
requirement or lack thereof for the savecore(8) and the config
procedure, respectively.

P.S. I was lucky enough to have thought of the problem while examining
/etc/rc during crash-dump configuration.  I'm sure that many others will
not be so lucky; hence this change-request.
>How-To-Repeat:
n/a