Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:40:49 -0500
From:      Robert Hough <rch@acidpit.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   EzBSD aint for me! Was: A breath of fresh air..

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001, Paul Robinson wrote:

> My long-term hope was that we could look to helping -doc create
> perhaps a second handbook from a user's perspective that just gets
> people up and running and sending their e-mail without having to
> resort to the 'normal techniques' we would use.

So write it up, and submit it. I'm sure that if it doesn't suck, someone
will commit it for you. The more quality documentation, the better. Yes,
I agree, it would be nice to see something like this. You, myself, and
everyone on this list has the ability to write something up, and submit
it.

> perhaps we don't want to make the OS easy to use and we should just
> drop -current and go back to 3.x-STABLE. :-)

Since when is -CURRENT about making the OS easier to use? I don't want
FreeBSD to be "easier" to use. I want it to be secure, reliable,
responsive and robust. In my opinion, when you make things so easy to
use, that even the clueless can do -- you start attracting a whole lot
of clueless people.

That isn't a totally bad thing in itself, but when those same said
clueless people start to think they are administrators - and people hire
them. Then things start to get bad... Just look at the majority of
Microsoft admins, and the latest wave of so called linux administrators.

--
Robert Hough (rch@acidpit.org)