Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 14:09:34 -0400
From:      "Philip R. Moyer" <pmoyer@hyperon.com>
To:        Eric Kozowski <eric@svjava.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 to 4.0

Eric wrote:
>i want to bring my 3.4 system up to 4.0.  is cvsup then make buildworld, etc.
>the best way to do this?  what problems should i expect to encounter, if any?
>any other input is appreciated, too.

First off, I wasn't able to build it succesfully without the crypto
libraries, so be sure you edit your supfile to get the crypto stuff, too.
Fortunately, I'm in the US....

At the bottom of the supfile is:
	# The easiest way to get the export-restricted code is to use the
	# "cvs-crypto" mega-collection.
	# cvs-crypto
Uncommented the last line.

Here's the process I used, which is culled from the /usr/src/UPDATING file:

	1.  cd /usr/src
	2.  make buildworld
	3.  cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
	4.  make install
	5.  cd /usr/src/sys/modules
	6.  make install
	7.  cd /usr/src
	8.  make buildkernel KERNEL=<kernel name>
	9.  make installkernel KERNEL=<kernel name>
	10. chflags noschg /kernel
	11. mv /kernel /kernel.3_4
	12. mv /<kernel name> /kernel
	13. chflags schg /kernel
	14. cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev/MAKEDEV
	15. Remake the devices
		cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old
		vi /etc/fstab (change wd entries to corresponding ad entries)
		cd /dev
		df > /tmp/foo
		/bin/sh ./MAKEDEV all
		ls -l ad* (verify all previous slices, as listed in /tmp foo,
			are made)
		create any missing slice devices with MAKEDEV
	16. reboot single
	17. cd /usr/src
	18. make -DNOINFO installworld
	19. make installworld
	20. mergemaster
	21. reboot multi

This should get you going without too many troubles.  If you're using
PCMCIA cards, the pccard.conf file will be /etc/defaults/pccard.conf rather
than /etc/pccard.conf, and there's the usual tuning in /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
but that shouldn't be too much trouble.

Cheers,
Phil