Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:40:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, dpsmith@xoom.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote power cycle

>    The "BOOT_FORCE_COMCONSOLE" option was an option to building the
> bootblocks, not a kernel option, so I don't see how sio() flags has
> anything to do with it. That said, the option went away in 2.2, and
> now this is done with BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT, I guess. I haven't rebuilt
> the bootblocks since 2.1, so I didn't notice the change.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

I'm also using the serial console to monitor machines, and remotely reboot
them when necessary. (I'm working on using X10 stuff to actually cycle power
for  me)

However, for now, even when the serial console is still running, but the
machine is  mostly dead, I can never get reboot to work... It tells me some
processess would not die, ps axl advised - then it locks up.

I've even tried reboot -q or reboot -n and got nowhere. Is there a better
way of recovering for this?

Kevin