Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:10:45 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@lucky.net>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: dynamic vs static sysctls?

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 02:48:48PM +0200, Valentin Nechayev wrote:

> >     hw.atamodes: dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dm=
a,dma,:-8,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,d=
ma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,=
dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma=
,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dm=
a,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,d=
ma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,=
dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma=
,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dm=
a,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,d=
ma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,=
pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma=
,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dm=
a,dma,dma,pio,dm!
>  a,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,pio,dma,dma,dma,dma,dma,:-%,

Actually, it's worse than that..apparently the driver suppresses all
leading controllers which are not present: I had a controller which
provided ad4 through ad7, and wanted to change the modes (Promise
Ultra 100, which was giving me massive filesystem corruption), but
hw.atamodes said this:

hw.atamodes: dma, dma, dma, dma,

However what it really meant was this:

hw.atamodes: ---, ---, ---, ---, dma, dma, dma, dma,

and I couldn't alter the settings without knowing this and adding back
the missing four entries.

Kris

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7--