Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:22:20 -0800
From:      "Parker H. Brown" <phb31@earthlink.net>
To:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q2  re: using pkg_add on 2.1.5

Using the /stand/sysinstall to install numerous packages seems to be
"problematic", because overflows of (to me) arcane types seem to occur
on things like emacs.  I just reinstalled 2.1.5 because the X-windows
that came with 2.1.6 doesn't seem to want to work.  I felt that using
pkg_add (as root) would allow a tightly controlled system.

However, Mosaic just won't run anymore.  Either "permission not allowed"
or "not found" messages pop up.  Mosaic installed with owner/group bin
and rwx for other zeroed out.  I usually use the system as user pb with
group=wheel.  Pkg_add aborted )I thought because some dependencies
weren't there.  I pkg_add  ed the ones in the message, the re pkg_add ed
Mosaic.  It said "already installed", so I pkg_delete ed Mosaic.  It
said "not installed", so I pkg_add  ed Mosaic again, and it said
"already installed".  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!