Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:46:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com, charlespeters@chickenbean.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why so long til I see my message posted to the list?

[Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Wednesday,  7 October 1998 at 10:49:32 -0400, Charles A. Peters wrote:
> [...]
>> topographically closer than hub, for redistribution.  There it is
>> queued with other messages waiting for delivery.  Finally, it gets
>> delivered, one destination at a time.  Thus it's possible to get a
>> reply before you see your own message.
>>
>> You can follow this by looking at the headers.  They are "newest
>> first".  Here's what I get for your message.  Your headers for the
>> same message will look the same at the bottom, but will diverge after
>> hub:
>>
>>> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Wed Oct  7 05:56:13 1998
>>>         by allegro.lemis.com (8.9.1/8.9.0) with ESMTP id FAA23831
>>>         for <grog@lemis.com>; Wed, 7 Oct 1998 05:56:09 +0930 (CST)
>>
>> This is the final hop: your message got here at 5:56 am our time,
>> which is 8:26 pm yesterday UTC.

>>>         by sarip.sol.net (8.8.8/8.8.8/SNNS-1.02) with ESMTP id PAA21669;
>>>         Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:25:56 -0500 (CDT)
>>
>> sarip.sol.net is the relay host for my domain.  The message got there
>> at 3:25 pm CDT, 8:25 pm UTC.  This was just one minute before it
>> arrived at allegro.

>>>           by hub.freebsd.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id MAA27354;
>>>           Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
>>>           (envelope-from owner-freebsd-questions)
>>
>> Here hub is receiving the outgoing message to the mailing lists.  The
>> time is 12:40 pm PDT, 7:40 pm UTC.  Thus it took it 45 minutes to send
>> the message to sol.  The probable reason for this would be a couple of
>> timeouts on other systems which were tried first.

>> 4 minutes earlier the bulk mailer at hub received the message.

>>>           by hub.freebsd.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) id MAA26611
>>>           for freebsd-questions-outgoing; Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:36:47 -0700 (PDT)
>>>           (envelope-from owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG)
>>
>> This is still the message going out from hub, 2 seconds earlier.

>>>           by hub.freebsd.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id MAA26583
>>>           for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
>>>           (envelope-from charlespeters@tecpro.com)
>>
>> Here's your message coming in to hub at 12:36:37 PDT, 7:36 pm UTC, 10
>> seconds before it was scheduled for rebroadcast.

>>>         by chickenbean.ais-gwd.com (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id PAA07162
>>>         for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:52:33 -0400 (EDT)
>>>         (envelope-from charlespeters@tecpro.com)
>>
>> Here's your message being received by your ISP (or whatever) at 15:52
>> EDT, 7:52 pm UTC.  This suggests that the clock is wrong on this
>> machine, since it arrived at hub (which is ntp synchronized) 16
>> minutes earlier.
>>
>> One problem with the current distribution method is that messages are
>> sent one destination at a time, a non-responding mail server can cause
>> significant delays.  Jonathan Bresler, the FreeBSD postmaster, has
>> just announced that he's changing to a different remailer which is
>> better in this respect.  Expect the change to be completed within a
>> week (and if you're using procmail or some such to filter mail, expect
>> to have to change it: the headers won't be quite the same).

You're welcome.

> And by the way, I'll fix the time on chickenbean.com, it's my
> server.  What's the best way to syncronize the time on this box.

It looks like the time is the least of your worries.  The reply you
sent me was mutilated beyond recognition; I'd strongly suggest a
different mailer (Lookout! is famous for mutilating mail; see
http://www.lemis.com/email.html).  In addition, your MX host
(gateway.ais-gwd.com) is bouncing mail for you, so I can't reply to
you.  I've already sent them a message, but they don't seem to have
done anything.  As a result, and because you should have done too, I'm
copying -questions on this reply.  I'm also trying chickenbean.com,
which may bypass ais-gwd.com.  I hope you get it.

As regards time: are you connected to the net all the time?  Then use
xntpd.  Otherwise use ntpdate.  There are man pages for both.  You'll
need to find a relatively close ntp server--check out
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html.

Greg