Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:04:17 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate help

/stand/sysintall
configure
packages
(chose install from cdrom and have the cdrom with packages ready!!)
I've never installed from cdrom sorry. Maybe you can install via FTP if
you have a fast Internet connection......
It is in the 'print' ports...

You can e-mail me directly.....

Thus spake Yon Thulung_rai (yanraiwelcome@hotmail.com):

> Hi,
>
> All you guys are telling me that read shit manual which confuse me more than
> any handbook I have read it.
>
> Off course I have read it many times; this shit doesnn't explain me straight
> forward.
>
> all of you tell me find "apsfilter" file.
> I load it ports but there is not apsfilter file.  where can I find this
> file?  How can I install it?  I am not the guru of freebsd as you people.
> I am just student who want to learn about the freebsd.
>
> Can you Can you please tell me what and how am I fix this problem of
> configuring the printer and mcopy commands?
>
> You people aren't tell me in detail.
>
> Yes, I have four CDs of freebsd 3.4 but how do use 2, 3, 4 CDs?  There is
> one cd has ports packages and how can I install that package into the
> system?
>
> Thank you for your help
>

> >Read the part of the handbook that discusses fixing the stair-step effect.
> >Another option (recommended!) would be to use a better input filter for
> >printing.  I recommend using 'apsfilter'.  It's in the ports collection
> >(hopefully you installed the ports).  You can find it in the ports like
> >this:
> >
> >cd /usr/ports && make search key=apsfilter
> >
> >Apsfilter can handle many file types (postscript, etc.) and print them out
> >properly.
> >
> >Yon Thulung_rai wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have reinstall 3.4 freebsd on my pc. I did every thing to confiure my
> > > printer but still doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Step one
> > > The manual says configure /etc/printcap file
> > > I just copied alike:
> > >
> > > lp|lj|ps|local DeskJet printer:\
> > > :lp=/dev/lpt0"sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:1f=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:mx#0:\
> > > :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:
> > >
> > > Setp two
> > > and another file
> > >
> > > /usr/local/libexec/lpfilter
> > >
> > > I copied the same script in the lpfilter
> > >
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > > printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
> > > exit 2
> > >
> > > Step three
> > > finally,
> > >
> > > /etc/rc.conf
> > >
> > > in the rc.conf file I typed as manual says to do
> > > lpd_enable="YES"
> > > lpd_flags=" "
> > >
> > > done
> > >
> > > Now printer seems to work but the print comes out totally different
> >meaning
> > >
> > > Like this example
> > >
> > > Hello test
> > >           print the given files for me
> > >                                        This is first time priting test
> > >
> >Please
> > > work for me
> > >                    I spend a lot of time on this.
> > >
> > > So, how can I solve this problem; my printer is hp DeskJet 520. somebody
> > > told me down load the filter file and load but I can't do it because I
> >don't
> [...]

Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator
Inter-Connect Ltd.
3rd Flr The Chancery
Valley Rd
PO Box 39519 Nairobi
Tel: 254 2 711140
Fax: 254 2 718418

I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am. It's
just the drunker I sit here the longer I get.