Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 23:40:36 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Advocacy List <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and KDE

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Although I have followed FreeBSD for a couple of years I had not
> found the right desktop set of tools, to make it my primary OS.
>
> Last night I installed KDE and I think that this is something which
> not only may work for me, but that fits very well with what many new
> users would feel confortable with.
>
> I think it may be a good idea to present KDE as a good starting
> environment for new users. Anyone who is experience or is used to
> other window managers can remain using whatever they want, but for a
> new user the integration in KDE simplifies a lot of things.
>
> Comments/thoughts?

Yeah - make up an entry for the X desktop contest and submit it!

I've been wondering why nobody has done this yet.  It should be pretty
simple, it mostly just needs to depend on the KDE-all package, plus any
customizations you think might be needed.

I've been contemplating packaging my own setup, whic is basically
Enlightenment + SwingMetal theme, rxvt, Netscape, and both emacs and aXe
for editors.  I find it to be quite workable, and attractive enough without
stealing too much of my desktop space.  Since I'm a judge, I wouldn't be
eligible to win any of the prizes, but others may find this setup useful.

> I think after getting KDE the only other thing I need to be able make
> FreeBSD my primary OS is an office type of application. With any luck
> the upcoming Applixware suite will fill this void.  And of course
> eventually KDE Office may also do the trick.

Or perhaps even the upcoming Linux version of Wordperfect, especially if
they choose to "Suite-en" it?  ;^)

I've been using Wingz for the past several months, and have no complaints
about it functionally, but it won't load my Excel-based expense report
template, so I still have to (shudder) boot Lose95 occasionally.  Ick!